You may want to unbutton your pants for this one. And you may need to milk an extra for the amount of butter I'm about to ask you to retrieve.
This Irish whiskey cake is a family tradition at my house. We make it each year for Thanksgiving AND Christmas. But trust me, one piece will do.
Kids love it. I love it. Most love it. Unless you hate raisins, then you won't love it.
1. Place the raisins, lemon rind, and whiskey in a small bowl and let them soak overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line bottom of an eight-inch cake pan with wax paper that is buttered and dusted with flour.
3. Mash the butter and sugar together. In another bowl, sift the flour, salt, cloves and baking powder.
4. Beat the egg yolks and slowly mix into the butter and sugar mixture. Add the flour mixture as well. Mix to incorporate.
5. Beat the eggs whites until stiff and fold them into the mixture. Pour into cake pan and bake for 1.5 hours.
Sift the powdered sugar and then mix in the lemon juice and just enough whiskey and warm water so that you can drizzle the icing over the cake.